I Love New Mexico

About all things New Mexican

Posted by bunnyterry on February - 14 - 2014 | 1 Comment

tortilla-chips

I’m a fan of Michael Pollan’s Food Rules. If our grandparents wouldn’t recognize it, we shouldn’t eat it. That’s his advice. And baking my own corn chips from locally produced corn tortillas seems to get pretty close to that ideal.

I’m all out of chips, as I have been for several weeks (okay, I refuse to buy a bag of tortilla chips because I’ll eat them all in one sitting – I’m a chips and salsa junky.  Any questions?) and now I’ve become addicted to my own home-baked corn chips.  And I thought you just might enjoy knowing how I make them. I know this is elementary for about 90% of you out there, but for the other 10%, here’s the secret.

corn tortillasI just tear a pile of corn tortillas into quarters, put them on a cookie sheet, spray them with a bit of olive oil spray (or not), sprinkle them with Morton’s sea salt, and then put them in the oven at 350 degrees for about ten minutes.

The timing is a bit of trial and error  - sometimes ten minutes isn’t enough, sometimes it’s too much, depending on your altitude and your oven.  My best method for determining whether they done is to poke them with a fork.  Obviously if they’re hard, they’re perfect.

And for those of you who care, they’re gluten free.

The folks at Albuquerque Tortilla Company (www.albuquerque-tortilla.com) also offer a blue corn tortilla that would make gorgeous chips for your next get together.

If I’m out of spray or sea salt, I bake them without.  Still delicious.  Pair them with a jar of Sadie’s salsa.  Or better yet, make your own salsa.  Recipe for that to follow in another post soon.

Eat locally, eat healthy, eat fun. . .

One Response so far.

  1. Vicky says:

    Hey Bun, I really like to bake my own chips too. Don’t do it often but they are really the best. And another sign we are kin, chips and salsa are my downfall. LOVE THEM!!


Twitter updates

No public Twitter messages.

Sponsors

  • Domain name search and availability check by PCNames.com.
  • Website and logo design contests at DesignContest.net.
  • Reviews of the best cheap web hosting providers at WebHostingRating.com.
%d bloggers like this: